Books to Borrow
Welcome to the marketing research guide!
You may borrow books like these. Search for more with the Book Catalog, using the link to the above right.
Demographic & economic data and much more from 100 federal agencies.
- Use MapStats link for state, county and city statistics.
- For this area’s wage and occupation data: use Agencies by Subject > Labor > Bureau of Labor Statistics > Pay & Benefits > Wages by Area and Occupation > Metropolitan Area Wage Data > For 375 MSAs > New York > Glens Falls MSA.
- Under Agencies by Subject > Labor > Bureau of Labor Statistics > Spending and Time Use > American Time Use Survey.
- Under Agencies by Subject, choose Economics (Census Bureau, Small Business Administration) or Labor (Bureau of Labor Statistics with wage surveys, more).
Consumer Expenditure Survey
Shows how much Americans spend on specific types of consumer goods. Browse down page for most recent Consumer Expenditure Reports, or comparisons by region. From Bureau of Labor Statistics & Census Bureau. The A-Z Index is helpful.
County Business Patterns
Search for numbers of types of businesses in each county, with numbers of employees, more. New: under Metropolitan/Micropolitan Statistical Area, choose Glens Falls MSA.
Occupational Outlook Handbook
Career information from the U.S. Department of Labor, updated each year. Offers outlook of various careers, plus professional associations.
From Census Bureau; choose a county for detailed information on "age, agriculture, ancestry, banking, building permits, business patterns, crime, earnings, education, elections, employment, government, health, households, housing, income, labor force, manufactures, population, poverty, retail trade, social programs, veterans, vital statistics, water use, and wholesale trade." Downloadable data.
U.S. Census Bureau: American Factfinder
"Your source for population, housing, economic, and geographic data."
U.S. Census Bureau: Business Data You Can Use - Economic Census data of U.S. businesses from 2002 and 2007 economic censuses; national and state information on sales, industries, much more. Also see Business & Industry links.
Open.ny.gov: Open Data Portal from New York State, offering local, state, federal statistics on huge variety of topics. Debuted in March, 2013. Search by topic, town, zip code, more. Offers business, health data, much more.
New York State Data Center: "The state's primary and most comprehensive source for economic and demographic data, tracking the trends of the State of New York, its businesses and people." From Empire State Development.
Post-Star's DataVault - Glens Falls region's daily newspaper offers a page of statistics sources for this area.
Jimapco Map Room - Local map company offers web site with demographics for specific local areas.
These reference books below offer demographics, income, educational level, etc. They're located on the main floor of the library. Tip: Check sources at the bottom of the statistical charts in these books; you can search those agency Web sites for more current information, or use the Web sites above.
- Statistical Abstract of the United States REF. HA 202 .A38 (annual)
- County Business Patterns: New York REF. HC 107 .N7 U517 2000 (see latest online version)
- County and City Extra REF. HA 203 .C68 (annual)
- New York State Statistical Yearbook REF. HA 541 .N489 (annual)
- American Time Use REF. HD 69 .T54 A46 2007
See the Web Sites tab for more.
Marketing Reference Books
Find these books on the main floor of the library. They cannot be borrowed, but are always in the library to use.
Small Business Sourcebook (6 volumes)
REF. HD 2341 .S63 2011
Handbook of industry profiles 2009: analysis and trends for 300 industries
Ref. HD 2328 .H74 2009
Business Plans Handbooks *
REF. HD 62.7 .B865
Small Business Profiles
REF. HD 62.7 .S62 1995
Encyclopedia of Small Business *
REF. HD 62.7 .H553 1998 (2 vols.)
Broadcasting & Cable Yearbook
REF. HE 8689 .B77 (annual)
Business Review's Book of Lists (Capital District)
REF. HF 5065 .N5 B66 (annual)
Marketing Encyclopedia: Issues and trends…
REF. HF 5415 .M29 1995
Marketing Information: Reference Guide
REF. HF 5415.124 .M37 1995
Dictionary of Marketing Terms
REF. HF 5415 .D4874 1995
Encyclopedia of Industrial & Organizational Psychology
REF. HF 5548.8 .E498 2007
Advertising Age Encyclopedia of Advertising
REF. HF 5803 .A38 2003 (3 vols.)
Consumer Reports Buying Guide Issue
REF. TX 335 .C62 (annual)
* These reference books are offered online in the Gale Virtual Reference Center database, available on the Online Reference tab.
More Business Books
For Company Research
If you're researching a company's organizational strategy and need information about the company, use these research guides:
Book Subject Suggestions
Search for marketing books using these terms in the Book Catalog, using the link to the above right.
New business enterprises